This work cannot be done without youth at the table, participating in discussions, planning and sharing their experiences of growing up in Peel. This is why a Youth Advisory Council was created – a group of youth who support and inform the development of PCYI’s research, policy and strategic initiatives.
Who are we?
15 of Peel’s young volunteers from all walks of life, ranging in ages from 14-24.
What do we do?
We support, advise and build partnerships. We give our input to PCYI and make recommendations to inform their priorities and work. We take the lead on consulting our peers, and we also run our own initiatives for youth in Peel based on what we think is important and what we would like to get some experience working on. We build partnerships by participating in external community consultations, planning tables and roundtable events and we keep the youth community in Peel updated on our work through social media and other formats. Three of us sit on the PCYI Board of Directors with Peel’s most senior leaders in the youth sector.
Before PCYI does anything for youth, they come to us first.
What’s in it for us?
An opportunity to:
- Build our skills through a meaningful volunteer opportunity
- Have our voices heard and to influence the decisions, policies and practices made in Peel about youth
- Network with other youth leaders in Peel
Speak. Act. Be a game changer!
We look for new people to join the Youth Advisory Council each year. A position on the YAC may be a fit for you if you:
- are passionate about making things better for young people in Peel, are ready to contribute, and want to take on a leadership role,
- can commit to a meaningful volunteer opportunity that offers skill-building and professional development, and
- are between the ages of 14-24 and actively reside in Brampton, Caledon or Mississauga
We keep all applications on file, though only consider new applicants for a role on the Council when an opening is available. We review applications not only on merit, but also with the lens of ensuring our Youth Advisory Council members are a diverse cross-sector of Peel’s youth population.
For more information, contact Tobi Ajibolade, Youth Engagement Coordinator, at [email protected].